Today Margreet Bouw of the house of prayer in Utrecht and I taught at Time to Turn's Prophets Training in Nieuwegein. Time To Turn is a youth organisation for social justice, fair trade and ecologic sustainability. It was interesting to see that in this group the areas of social action (horizonal prophetic dimension) and hearing/seeing from God (vertical prophetic dimension) hadn't really touched yet. So I guess it was good that we could challenge them to act out of revelation (hearing/seeing from God) instead of just a good idea, and combine the creativity in which they already excell with sensitivity for God's timing, connections and focused prayer. Especially when confronting power structures (be it religious, social or politcal) it's important to realize that it's demonic (not just human) power that upholds injustice. Anyway, illustrated with movie clips from The Matrix, Monty Python and Luther I gave eight characteristics of a prophetic calling:
1. Prophets focus on destiny in Christ and issues of the heart.
2. Prophets are door-openers.
3. Prophets are sensitive to God's Spirit and timing.
4. Prophets are called to not just 'give words', but live a prophetic lifestyle.
5. Prophets always face head-on opposition from religious spirits of control, manipulation, human religiosity and political correctness; it's important that they stay free from 'fear of man'.
6. Prophets expect God to break in, and think and act out of the box.
7. Prophets function as God's GPS system, they move intuitively and know the times.
8. Prophets are called to tear out and to plant (Jer. 1); deconstruction of human or demonic strongholds and construction based on God's design go hand in hand.